Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have an EOS600D, battery is fully charged. The scree

I have an EOS600D, battery is fully charged. The scree remains black when switched on. When I look through the view finder in green it says Err. Can I solve problem myself
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the camera in question, please?

And, how old is the battery you are using in it?

Does the lens assembly move when you switch on the camera?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think about 4 years old, batteries the same. Lens moved earlier today, but not now.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Given that the battery is that old, you probably have a battery/batteries that are getting weak.

Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing.

The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Try that, I advise.

Also try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would be surprised if it's the batteries as i've tried 2, and it would be too much of a coincidence for both to go at once. will try the eraser. With regards ***** ***** - all i have is white wine, bacardi or whisky lol - can i use these? I'd prefer to drink them but could sacrifice enough to dampen a swab. Peter
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Whiskey, if not too expensive, will do as a grease/oil-remover in a pinch, for lack of rubbing alcohol.

Cheers.

Enough to dampen a swab is sufficient and probably costs no more than a quarter or so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried the eraser no change, but did notice red light flashed once at bottom right of back of camera. never noticed this light before. Will try whisky
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Give it several minutes after using solvent (or, Whiskey) on terminals, for evaporation time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now the flash opens and lens assembly moves. Greem message through lens finder says: busy iso 400 0, Then sometimes ISO 3200 or 1600
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still black screen and shutter does not go off
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

ISO refers to your camera settings.

The ISO setting.

"Busy" - that's not so good. Wait a while. See if 'Busy' goes away, then see if you can shoot pic.s.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had turned it off. turned it back on , busy, still there so i'll wait. about how long ?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Try 10 minutes. After that, waiting longer won't do anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Let me know how it goes, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said busy for 6 or 7 mins but It is now not responding at all. no message and no lens movement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then the camera, unfortunately, may well be 'broken'. It is, after all, about 4 years old.

To have it service/repaired, either send it to Canon, or perhaps to PrecisionCamera or to UnitedCamera, which also service Canon high-end DSLR cameras such as yours.

To have it serviced by Canon... are you located in Great Britain, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took battery out and put it back in. lens moving and no longer says busy. it say 40 then 50 or 60 when i press to take pic, and also says 4.5
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Well... does a picture get taken? it sounds as if it does not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didnt, but just changed memory card, and nothing happened, then took battery out and back in. Screen on and picture taken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only works when i put a different card in and then take battery out and put back in.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Good!

Then you have a defective memory card, quite possibly.

If it continues working, with different memory cards, I hope that we can consider it 'fixed'.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put memory card in laptop and says 58.1 GB free of 59.4GB, so nowhere near full.
Oh and yes i'm in GB
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Well. Good. It seems to be quite thoroughly functional.

The 'bad' memory card might be tested briefly in a computer's card reader, and images perhaps recovered from it, but is most likely defective and damaged. Note whether its contacts (metallic little bits) are in any way dirtied, corroded, bent, missing, etc.

If this case is completed, I'd appreciated a rating for my work on it. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Memory card working fine in computer, won't put it back in camera though as got some valuable pics on it.
I will buy brand new card and battery and see what happens.
How do I rate you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found rating system - cheers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Good! Glad to hear the problem is cleared up in good style.