Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon Legria FS299 Video camcorder which is an old

I have a Canon Legria FS299 Video camcorder which is an old friend but still performs exactly as it did on day one. We have a new LG tv and the old system of connecting to the TV (Red,Yellow White plug system does not connect to the camcorder as the connection points are now either HDMI or USB. That is fine but when connected via the USB the camera asks to select DVD burner / power adaptor. Can someone supply the information what I do and can the correct Power Adaptor I require be specified ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What you are talking about, I think, is the RCA multi-cable system (red, yellow, and white) of video (and audio) signal.

If you get a message about a DVD device or a power adapter, then probably you cannot directly connect USB from the camera to the TV.

If you had a DVD burner device hooked up to the TV, with a USB port on it, then you could select it, select its model #, or the like.

As it is, a RCA-to-HDMI adapter might be the most practical way of getting the signal from your Legria to the TV.

Such as this:

http://www.miniinthebox.com/hdmi-v1-3-male-to-3rca-video-audio-av-cable-1-5m_p900707.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=109321988082&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o1&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=4196617767_325111122_38744566731_pla-211902100362&gclid=CIXnyMyE088CFURbhgodbfoJ9w

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composite-CVBS-Converter-Input/dp/B00I482KZI

As to whether the USB can be used and what to enter at the prompt under these circumstances.... I am looking that up (to double-check on my impression that RCA-to-HDMI might be the best choice here... or not) and also might need to know, what model is your new LG TV?

That USB interface is for transfer of videos to a DVD burning device; the choice between DVD burner and Power Adapter is simply an indication it doesn't necessarily have TV output capability.

But you can try selecting 'DVD Burner' and see if the TV will accept video playback through the USB port.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend going with the RCA-to-HDMI adapter or converter.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
LG television Model No 47LM620T-ZE ( has 3D )
I think I understand your reasoning and I can give it a try. I was questioning why USB rather than HDMI as the other LG television which operated and allowed viewing recording via the White-Red- Yellow plug in which requested an input was operable and allowed viewing on HDMI 11. Does this information throw on light on the subject ?

Perhaps. Thanks for being understanding.

Does your new LG TV have an HDMI input port?

That might be easier to get working than video via USB (which was what I was proposing, in brief.)

USB on an older camera like yours might be, even if working, rather slow. Owing to its being an earlier version of USB.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Russell, Error on my original question is the camera Model is actually Legria FS 200 not 299 as I advised. SORRY
The new LG television has 3 HDMI ports and only 1 is in use which connects the DVD player to television.
I think your suggestion of the Mini Composite Convertor from Amazon looks to have a very promising outlook and I will give this a try.
Thank You for giving me some hope as I am now knocking on for 70 years of age and technology is leaving me way behind nowadays.

I am pleased to have shed some light on the situation.

I hope the hookup works as it should.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.