Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Fujifilm Finepix JX700 I am in a dilema. Please help me. I

Fujifilm Finepix JX700
Hi, I am in a dilema. Please help me. I gave my 83 year old mother this camera several years ago. She took 4 photos with it and never used it again.
I now have the camera and have been told it needs a firmware upgrade. I was told to look on the internet. \Please help
Beverley
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
To do the firmware upgrade, you will need to have a computer - and it might be good to assess what firmware version is already on it. Do you have a computer, and if so, is it Windows based, or Apple type?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Russell, I do have a computer, I am on it right now. I have Windows 10 loaded

Good. Next question, what is the current firmware version on the camera? there's a way of looking it up, excuse me for a few minutes, while I get the instructions on how to do that.

Actually we don't need to check the firmware update version. It just might have saved trouble. Next question, where to download the firmware update. I'm preparing that now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I dont know where to begin. I just know I can switch the camera on, it arrives at the date time etc. wont accept what I punch in and goes back to the beginning waiting for me to type all that it.

OK... wait a moment, I am getting your instructions...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

Unfortunately I can offer no instructions: The firmware upgrade for JX700, if there is one, is no longer on FujiFilm's site. Not through South Africa's FujiFilm site, nor the global FujiFilm site, has any upgrade for the JX700.

What leads you to conclude that an upgrade is needed for this camera?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took it in to my local Kodak store where I bought it in 2012 and the young lad there had it on the computer with its cable and told me that it had to be upgraded to a newer version and he couldnt do it, it just would not accept it.

Probably said 'Broken Update' - illegitimate upgrades from non-manufacturer sources, commonly throw that error message without proceeding. And there seem to be none but illegitimate upgrades, since FujiFilm itself offers no such upgrade file for this model nor this model series.

(And if you need to be informed, upgrades meant for other models will not work - they might even ruin the camera, if they even succeeded in being applied.)

I think you would be well advised to consider, if the camera is still fully functional, that it does not need upgrading. It's a model that the manufacturer considers no longer worth supporting, which is regrettable, but I don't see that it has to have any upgrade that it will not accept forced upon it - rather a bad notion.

What do you think? and may I help you further in any way with this matter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am pleased you told me that thank you. That is obviously what he was trying to do. I was allowed around where his computer was and he wouldnt let me see what he was doing.
It is such a shame. My mum took exactly 4 photos with the camera, all of her settee. That was the time the camera was ever used. After that she locked it in her cupboard where I came upon it by chance.
It worries me that I cannot get further then the date and time screen. Why would that be?

OK... remember that there are more than one format, for dates/times. For instance, in America, today would be '8/4/2017', but in France (I think) it would be 4/8/2017 (with the month, '8' for 'August', second instead of first.

Are you sure that you are entering the date in the correct format?

Time formats aren't that variable, just the '24 hour' clock versus the '12 hour' clock with AM and PM. (I.e. 2 in the afternoon is 14:00 in one system, and 2:00 p.m. in the other system.)

Do you know where the camera was purchased? that would determine what date format needs to be used.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought it in my local Kodak shop.
It is on a 12 hour clock as it switches from am to pm as I go to set the time after the date.
Once I am finished it just goes back to 2012 and stays there again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have just tried again using YYMMDD and still when I press the OK nothing happens

OK... in South Africa (if the website is correct in displaying your nation/region), the time is entered:

It used to be dd/mm/yyyy - that is, today is entered as 04/08/2017.

It is since 1998 or so, standardised (whatever that means.) Presumably in mm/dd/yyyy format.

And the time? it is entered normally enough I guess... for I cannot find any information on that subject.

Try entering MMDDYY.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It shows the battery is flat now and while it is plugged in to charge it wont let me work on it. Grrrrrrrrrr
I did try MMDDYY, I also tried DDMMYY and it just wont set. I can press ok or whatever and it just does nothing.

I'm sorry to hear that. You may have to send it to FujiFilm Repair, to have them work on it - it does sound 'broken' to me, if it always refuses entries like that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh dear,I think you may be right although I cannot imagine what would have happened after sitting in a cupboard in a padded pouch for so long.
The lad suggested I send it in to Fuji but the cost would be alot more then I payed for the camera at the time. I think he quoted around 60 pounds for them to look at it. Ugh. A bit more then I would have like to pay for a 'maybe' problem.

I understand. I don't know what else to suggest. Except to double-check on a rather basic point, which may not even need checking on: are you following an instruction booklet, on the date-time setting procedure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am. I have followed everything the booklet says .

A camera that won't follow the booklet for its model is defective. There's no other conclusion to come to.

As for sitting in a cupboard for years... devices don't like it, I have found, in hundreds of cases here at JustAnswer. Keyboard instruments (electronic), especially, tend to not work after being stored, no matter how carefully and well, for years of disuse.

I'm sorry that I cannot produce any better hope for the camera.

Would you appreciate a chance at a second opinion on this matter, from a different Expert, with no extra charge to you? if so, I will Opt Out and open the case to other Experts in this category.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You Russell, I do trust what you have told me and believe you are right.
So, in conclusion, I may as well throw it away and buy a new one that mum MAY NOT use?

"MAY NOT use" - Well, that's a decision that is entirely up to you... it's a human-factors decision, and I'm not an Expert adviser on such matters.

Consider giving it to a bright young person who might want to tinker with it and has an interest in electronic devices or especially cameras. They will get some educational use from it, perhaps. That's the idea I may offer, unofficially, since it is a human-factors piece of advice.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated for my efforts toward finding a solution to the problem.

(If you need more info, or have any comments, let me know and I will continue to help and advise.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You. Very good advice. I shall give it to a young lad I know who is dead keen on this sort of thing. He is 10 and has cancer. He has always been into electronics and I think he will enjoying learning what he can from it.
I will rate you and thank you again for the help. I guess i have to concede that I lost this one.

We did what we could for the case. Thank you for the favorable rating, and please have a great day.