Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

My Mac (OX Capitan) and printer (MG6851) apparently have

My Mac (OX Capitan) and printer (MG6851) apparently have stopped talking with each other for no reason I can discern. A window pops up with two prompts. One is "name", and MG6851 is already slotted there. The second prompt slot is blank, with the word "location" under it. I'm tempted to say "About three feet away from my right knee"! What exactly is it asking for? And even if I do fill it in with a proper response, will the Mac and the printer resume talking with each other?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me how they are both connecting please? Via a USB cable or wifi?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
USB cable.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Please connect the cable to a different USB port and tell me if it then can print please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did that. Basic steps. Then I connected my wife's laptop to the printer and there was no problem. Then I disconnected the laptop, powered up the Mac again, reconnected it to the printer and....
Still nothing.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

On your Mac, connect it, power it up then click on the Apple Icon and click on System Preferences.

Then printers

Then click on the printer and click on the - to remove the printer (repeat if it is listed multiple times).

Once done, click the + and add the printer by clicking on it.

Once installed, try to print to it please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did as you suggested. It worked!
Thanks!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit