Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My black lab has just swallowed a chicken bone whole, is there

Customer Question

My black lab has just swallowed a chicken bone whole, is there anything I should do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Barney.
Typical, for a labrador. Got to love this breed.

Well, here's the problem. A chicken bone does have the chance to be digested. But, depending on its size and shape could cause an obstruction or even perforate the inside of the stomach or intestinal wall first.

So, I do get nervous with larger chicken bone fragments.

I would recommend a veterinary examination and abdominal x-ray. it will give the vet a quick look at the size and shape and if any sharp ends to it.
If very concerning, sometimes, we will even suggest endoscopy to remove the bone fragment without surgery. Definitely, do not induce vomiting. Slim to no chance coming back out of the stomach, and could get stuck.

If you elect not to go to a vet, here are some guidelines to know when a vet would be needed:

Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Sorry to hear what he did. I have owned labs in the past that have done the same silly thing. One was fine, the other did need endoscopy.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?