Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

My 10 year old westie Molly has been having diarrhea with blood

Customer Question

My 10 year old westie Molly has been having diarrhea with blood in it and is also being sick, she has had a biopsy taken on her intestine but the results are not yet back,her intestine wall cramps and it thickens then when the cramp past it went back to normal. she cannot keep anything down at all, today the vet has put her on a drip,
on examining Molly the vet found her tummy to be very hard and this has not been noticed before, The vet molly has put on Buscopan to try to stop the cramping, so we can get some food into her,
The vet is at a loss as to what to do next really and is thinking of referring molly to Birmingham a referral centre for treatment.. We are beside ourselves with worry for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.

Drew :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

I'm certainly sorry to hear that Molly has not been feeling well.

Drew :

It sounds like the biopsy was a wise choice,

Drew :

as that may help tell us what is going on at the microscopic level within the intestinal wall,

Drew :

which might help in determining additional treatments that might be beneficial.

Drew :

given the lack of ability to hold anything down,

Drew :

I'd consider a motility enhancing medicine such as Metoclopramide,

Drew :

which might also help reduce nausea.

Drew :

Admittedly, given Molly's age, we do need to be worried about the possibility that this issue is related to a mass or tumour somewhere within the digestive tract,

Drew :

even if one was not visible at the time of obtaining the biopsy.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

The vet has given Molly an anti sickness injection aswell this morning , i forgot that, no visible sign of a mass or tumour but i know that does not mean their is not one,

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

have you come across the hardening of the stomach in dogs before, what course of action would you take next, please

Drew :

well, the anti nausea injection may or may not have the motility effects I mentioned --

Drew :

which means it may be useful, but might not be all that's required to manage these signs.

Drew :

a hard abdomen is a sign of pain or discomfort --

Drew :

I'd strongly suggest some pain management since you haven't mentioned that at all in the existing treatment.

Drew :

at this point, it's really a waiting game, hoping that the biopsy reveals a diagnosis.

Drew :

if not, referral to the specialist is certainly necessary.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

sorry panic took over and my mind went blank, molly was given pain relief at the time of the biopsy and an antibiotic.

Drew :

"at the time of biopsy" -- but not since??

Drew :

pain medicines last 6-8 hours at best.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

no i don't believe so , the biopsy was taken on the afternoon of the 9th and she did not seem to be in pain on suday or yesterday , just this morning.

Drew :

well, that's certainly not adequate pain management if there still seems to be ongoing signs of discomfort.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

i will suggest she has better pain mangement,

Drew :

and consider the motility enhancing drugs as well,

Drew :

to help the intestines move in the right direction

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

Is this available in the uk?

Drew :

it's available worldwide as far as I know.

Drew :

by oral and injectable routes.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

i don't know what more questions to ask, i guess their is no easy answer to this and it is a waiting game.. Thank you for you help

Drew :

Indeed it's a waiting game, this is an unusual situation requiring more aggressive diagnostic testing such as fluoroscopy if the situation does not improve or the biopsy does not yield a diagnosis.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

Maybe, hopefully we can get the answers from the Birmingham referral center, it is 3hrs away from us and leaving her will be very difficult.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

Our vet was hoping to find an answer and treat her here, she is ringing round other places for any answers.

Drew :

I certainly understand not wanting to leave Molly at the referral center,

Drew :

I do hope that the biopsy results allow your vet to proceed with treatment successfully, and referral won't be necessary.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

Yes me too, but with molly being so weak i don't see another option

Drew :

I agree -- if Molly's condition does not improve, or the biopsy results do not offer any clues as to what step to take next, referral is really the only choice left.

JACUSTOMER-saqu729n- :

Thank you for you good service,Although i feel i am going round in circles really, Regards J GIlby

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Please remember to rate your answer once satisfied, however please feel free to continue asking questions on the same subject until you are satisfied.