Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

puppies yesterday and she is now week and bleeding, in spots.

Customer Question

puppies yesterday and she is now week and bleeding, in spots. is this normal or is there a problem.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Hello Holly, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm terribly sorry for a delayed response to you, especially given the nature of your question.

A vaginal discharge post-delivery can be normal for several weeks (depending on the amount and color), but your girl shouldn't be weak after delivery. This could be concerning.

I'm not certain if you still require assistance, but if you do, I have a few additional questions to ask first, if you don't mind?

1. What breed is your dog?
2. What color are her gums?
3. How much vaginal discharge is there? And is it reddish brown or bright red?
4. How many puppies did she have?
5. Are they nursing normally? Is she being a good mom?