Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My boxer 18 months old has had pasteurella and non haemolytic

Customer Question

My boxer 18 months old has had pasteurella and non haemolytic streptococcus for the past year, have tried two vets , alot of antibiotics given but still not clearing up, what can i do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm sorry to hear about Jacob's persistent issue. To best help out, I need to have you answer a few questions.

1) Where is this infection at? Ears? Skin?
2) Has there been a culture of it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, his infection is from his penis, he has had a culture which came back as pasteurella, and non haemolytic streptococcus, he has had several perscriptions of antibiotics, amozillain ( sorry for spelling) last one for two weeks which has just finish yet it is back again all ready, not sure where to go from here, dont want him to live on antibiotics for ever, i have read that it is a common disorder yet it cant be cleared, what can i do to help him? Have even changed vets to seek second opinion.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
3) Is the infection in his urine?
4) Is he urinating more frequently? Straining?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He doesnt strain and isnt urinating more frequently, his actual urine hasnt been tested, a swab was tacken straight from his penis, he is other wise very healthy, was told it could be his enviroment, so at first changed from woodland walks to excerise on the beach instead, however problem keeps coming back, not sure what to do next or what to ask for at the next vet visit ,any suggestions will be very welcome.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
I have to ask this. What exactly is being displayed by this infection? Is he just having discharge from the prepuce? He otherwise is acting great with eating and drinking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is a creXXXXX XXXXX discharge from his penis, which has also been slightly swollen when infection is occuring, no other problems, eating drinking fine, very happy dog.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for answering all those questions. What you're seeing is a smegma - the discharge from the prepuce. In a lot of dogs, this is a totally normal situation. The prepuce is a nice warm, moist, dark environment - the absolute perfect place for bacteria to live. There are going to be bacteria here on every single male dog. It isn't a sterile environment. So, you're never going to have no bacterial there. He will most likely always have some discharge. The goal with him is most likely to not have the swelling and / or pain. Some require regular flushing of the prepuce with a hibi-clens solution to help physically remove / treat the area. Oral antibiotics may clear it for awhile but it will clean up. You could always get a second opinion with another vet locally to see if they have the same opinion.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the advise, it has helped a lot. x

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
I'm glad to have helped. I found this link that I wanted you to have. It talks about this situation, the term for it is balanoposthitis.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/reproductive_system/reproductive_diseases_of_the_male_small_animal/balanoposthitis_in_small_animals.html?qt=&sc=&alt=
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Take care and I hope Jacob does well!