Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Got my lab puppy 4 weeks ago. He was the runt of a litter

Customer Question

Got my lab puppy 4 weeks ago. He was the runt of a litter of 10. The breeder sent us home with some dried food and a couple of tins of dog food. When we got home he wouldn't eat the dried food event when we soaked it with warm water so we gave him some tinned food which he ate, after a couple of days he started having a running tummy and at the end of the motion her strained and passed a few drops of blood. I took him to the vets and they thought he had a bacterial infection in his gut and gave him some antibacterial gel and wormed him again and told us to feed him on chicken and rice.his poos became solid with no blood and he has gained weight and growing well the vet was very pleased and told us to 're_introduce their puppy food (dried) on the second day of giving the puppy food he started again with the upset tummy with the blood so we put him back on chicken and rice and it stopped after another week we have tried to introduce the puppy food again but the same thing has happens.what should we do now? (He has had all his jabs)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

Dr Kara :

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your pup.

Dr Kara :

Did you slowly reintroduce his puppy food, mixing in a little more of the puppy food and a little less of the chicken and rice at each meal? Or did you just start feeding him the puppy food again?

Dr Kara :

It sounds like your little guy has a very sensitive stomach.
It may be that an abrupt diet switch was enough to cause massive intestinal irritation.
It may also be that he has a food allergy too, and something in that puppy food is leading to gastrointestinal irritation.

Dr Kara :

I would look for a puppy food that is chicken and rice based and do a very gradual diet change over to the new puppy food.
I like Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy.
If his previous food had wheat in it then Purina One chicken and rice puppy is another good food.

Dr Kara :

It should take a good week to properly switch from one food to another, very slowly adding more new food, less chicken and rice.

Dr Kara :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr Kara :

If you find that even with a gradual diet change he still gets diarrhea you may need to feed a true hypoallergenic diet.

Dr Kara :

Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

I switched formats as I wasn't sure that you could see my responses.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have gradually introduced puppy food, tried purina, vets sugested vet essentials diet so tried that as well. It seems he only has to have a couple of days with a little amount of puppy food before he gets a bad tummy. I think he has a delicate tummy. I am happy to continue to give him chicken and rice but know he needs some dietary supliments. Can you give me some advice on what else he needs in his diet
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, I agree that he has a very sensitive stomach and likely a true food allergy.

There are many different types of Purina. The ones that I recommended, Pro Plan chicken and rice and Purina One chicken and rice are chicken and rice based, although both also have corn. If you fed the regular Purina Puppy Chow it is very high in corn and that may be the allergen for him that is leading to diarrhea. Vet essentials also contains corn.

Nature's recipe makes a puppy food with Lamb and Rice that may sit well with him as it has no corn.

If you want to make a homemade diet I highly recommend that you work with a veterinary nutritionist as it is not easy to formulate a diet, let alone a puppy food that will allow him to grow normally. Your veterinarian should be able to direct you.

If not here is a link to the University of Edinburgh's Veterinary nutrition consulting service: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/services/small-animals/vets/services/nutritionservice