Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a dog which is on Rimadyl -- 50mg x twice a day. She

I have a dog which is on Rimadyl -- 50mg x twice a day.

She had a tablet i.e 50mg at about 1-45pm but then in error was given another at about 5-45pm. Do I need to do anything re short space of time between tablets. It has worried me--I was not here when the second tablet was given.

Help please
Kathy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Gabby.

You are in good shape!
Ironically, there happens to be two ways to dose rimadyl.
Many vets, including me, still like the twice a day dosing.
But!
It can also be given as a double dose once a day!
So, the extra dose will be perfectly fine. I would simply not give more this evening, and resume the normal directions the next day.

I always encourage to watch out for vomiting or diarrhea, but not worried about what has happened.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion.