Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

morning, my 10 month old puppy seems to have hurt his right

Customer Question

morning,

my 10 month old puppy seems to have hurt his right paw he is limping he is able to put weight on it although he holds it up when sitting and rests on his hind legs to balance himself out.

Could you recomend anything to give him? we were going to wait a couple of days before taking him to the vet as this has happened before.

thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 4 years ago.

larsondvm :

I'm sorry to hear that Leo has injured himself.

larsondvm :

You can safely give him plain aspirin at a dose of 5-10mg per pound every 12 hours. Just make sure you only give plain aspirin. Stay away from the newer over the counter pain relievers like acetomenophen, ibuprofen, and naproxin. It does sound like this is something that will pass if he is using. I would suspect a soft tissue injury that will heal with time.