gpvet
gpvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet dealing with all kinds of companion animals and small exotics for the last 13 years
73965271

How long can a badly infected dogs paw (smelling and rotting)

Customer Question

How long can a badly infected dog's paw (smelling and rotting) safely be treated with Alamycin ointment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.
Hi there

I am sorry that your sister's dog has such an ongoing problem.

I would suggest that if one type of treatment has been used for a long time with no improvement, it is probably time to change the treatment. Topical treatments for some infections just don't penetrate deep enough into the tissue to get to all the bugs.

In this situation I would think the dog needs to be changed to systemic antibiotics, preferably based on a culture and sensitivity of the infection from the wound. If the wound is really nasty, sometimes surgical debridement of the area is needed to remove any dead tissue.

I hope this helps

Debbie