Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Bichon cross with vominting and diarrohea. Age five months.

Customer Question

Bichon cross with vominting and diarrohea. Age five months. Only got her last week. I have been giving her dairy products as she appears to be very thin. Is this the cause of her sickness
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is she lethargic?
2- Has she been dewormed?
3- Any blood in the stool?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SHe is quite lethargic but has started to come back a bit. She has been dewormed. There was blood in the stool. I dont know what she weighs but I can feel her ribs, hence my giving her milk and yogourt to fatten her up. Her gums are pink. I should explain my own lovely westie was killed on Easter saturday and my family went out and bought this little one for me...... I did not really want her but she is so lovable and so thin I fell for her immediately

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Colette, I am so sorry to learn you lost your dog. As far as the vomiting and diarrhea it is very possible that it could be related to the dairy products. Dogs are lactose intolerant and often get diarrhea. In addition, we are learning that casein (protein in milk) is being associated with many diseases. I would strongly recommend to stay away from dairy products. If you want her to gain weight request from your family veterinarian a food that is called a/d, this is a prescription design for undernourished dogs, it also tastes really good.
There could be other causes for the diarrhea and vomiting like parasites, infections, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give belly time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into puppy food.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above, she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
5- Consider getting her dewormed again, often we need to repeat the dewormer several times. You can buy Panacur (fenbendazole), give it once a day for 3 days at label dose, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacur online (amazon.com) or in some pet stores.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THank you for your advice. It has set my mind at rest. It is good to know that there is a service that I can call on at any time. Again Many thanks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
I am glad I was here to help.

Your Welcome.

Dr. Peter