Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello Is it possible to get sedatives that are safe for

Customer Question

Is it possible to get sedatives that are safe for dogs. We are going away to switzerland for 3 nights en route to our house in France. Alfie is a boisterous 9 month old cocker and will not sleep at nights. This is fine at home as he is in the utility room and likewise in france but in a hotel room he keeps us awake all night. Before you ask he is not cage trained.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and welcome,

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. I see you are from the UK, this cuts down your options because there is really nothing you can buy over the counter in the UK which will exert any real effect. The herbal remedies for example are often quite ineffective ...

2. However your best option would be to get a prescription sedative tablet from your vets such as Valium or Acepromazine. Acepromazine would be a good choice as it is very safe indeed and also is effective against travel sickness.

Here is a link to an accurate article where you can read more about this drug : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott