Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Just got a lovely Whippet bitch who is 14 months old. Had

Customer Question

Just got a lovely Whippet bitch who is 14 months old.
Had her since last Friday and only seen her drink water once.
We feed her wet food as she has always been fed and she seems to wee ok or enough.
Is it unusual for dogs not to drink?
Is it a trait with Whippets?
Is it due to the wet food?
Best regards>>Terry
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ria.

In my experience, if a dog is eating, they will absolutely drink enough water to sustain themselves.
Not always true for the reverse. A sick dog may drink water, but not eat.

I would not say what you are observing is a trait or complication for this breed.

Wet food does provide quite a bit of water. Enough? I am no so sure.

You could always go into your vet and request a urine test to evaluate the concentration (specific gravity) of the urine. If excessively concentrated, that could indicate dehydration. Of course, if persistently seeing really dark urine or very yellow urine, that can mean dehydration as well.

Also, if you were to wean her on to some dry food as well, I encourage it. No reason to have to feed canned food at this age. Essentially, paying more money for water and fat.

I would absolutely have her get her regular check up and make sure it includes a fecal test!

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an in-person examination.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?