DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

I have a 3 year old Newfoundlound Dog , who has started to

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old Newfoundlound Dog , who has started to show starnge behavioural issues, incessant panting , excessive drinking , continaully raising his head outside and sniffing in the air , obsessing about the nesting birds we have in our hedges. wont settle very restless and over excited when coming inot contact with females
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
Hi there .
I shall need some more information.

Is George neutered ?
is he on any medication?
Has that ever happened before and if so when?
Have you changed his diet recently?
Do you have any other dogs in the house and are they intact ?
Is George otherwise fine , eating and drinking fine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

george is not neutered , george is on no medication, this has never happened beofre, his diet has not changed , yes george's brother is in the house and intact, george is fine otherwise

Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
By what you are describing , It would seem that something is getting George very excited which could be either pathological (disease related) or behavioural.
obviously increase drinking is something which needs investigating further . is he drinking because his body is demanding it or due to a psychological issue (again excitement and aggravation had been known to cause that to happen).
Is his sniffing and constant interest in the going outdoors related to a female in heat which he is getting all excited about - something that would make him nervous , pant and act all funny , but then again another entire male dog which is lurking near by , spreading his own pheromones can get Goerge on edge.

Since George is of a breed which is known to have predispositions for various diseases which might manifest in the presenting symptoms , my advice would be to pay a visit to your vets first thing just in order to rule out any underlying condition which needs attending to (I advise to collect a urine sample before going) I would simultaneously check with next door to see if anyone has a bitch in heat or another male dog which is going about marking territories .

Last this to consider is wild life. id there a nee fox family which just move into your back yard which is driving George crazy.
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
How is George doing ?
has anything been diagnosed with your vets?