Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my 10 month old retreiver has not eaten for 2/3 days and has

Customer Question

my 10 month old retreiver has not eaten for 2/3 days and has passed some dark green poops. he is also salivating a lot. he is also lethargic in the house but has plenty energy outside on walks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 years ago.

DR. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

DR. Joey :

Has Brodie had any vomiting? Any swollen abdomen or abdomen/stomach pain? Is he eating?

JACUSTOMER-8hbja96u- :

there has been no vomiting but hes hasn't really eaten for a few days

DR. Joey :

Do you think he could have ingested anything unusual (is he a dog known to eat odd stuff like most retrievers)?

JACUSTOMER-8hbja96u- :

he possibly ate a small shrew type creature or mouse whilst out walking last night but he hasn't eaten any dog food since thursday. he is salivating excessively and has been all day

DR. Joey :

My top concern is that he has eaten something that has either upset his system tremendously or is stuck/obstructed within his system and cannot pass. Some develop vomiting with this, some just loose stool and not eating. There are certainly many other possible causes since his signs are vague. I can give you some suggestions for what you can try at home, but if he is worsening or not improved in another 24 hours, he really needs an exam.

JACUSTOMER-8hbja96u- :

he is very lethargic in the house but appears to have energy whilst outside

DR. Joey :

He is really on that edge of it being a tough call if he should be seen on emergency this weekend. If he develops blood in his stool, profound lethargy or starts vomtiing, then consider having him seen on emergency. In the meantime you can try the following:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) Give famotidine 20mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea (the drooling). You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Peptobismol liquid: Give 5 ml (1ml = 1 cc)by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. 5 ml is 1 tablespoonful. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

JACUSTOMER-8hbja96u- :

I will see how it goes tonight.

DR. Joey :

Sounds like a plan. I am happy to address follow-up questions. So, keep me posted. Kindly rate me when you are done.

JACUSTOMER-8hbja96u- :

how will i contact you if we need your advice later

DR. Joey :

You can always return to this question to review the answers and post a followup. Once you log into your account you should see your questions pop up as an option to view.

DR. Joey :

Please let me know if you have any further questions at this time. If not I will exit our chat.