Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi. My 13 yr old Greyhound cant settle, has diarrhea just

Customer Question

Hi. My 13 yr old Greyhound can't settle, has diarrhea just been walkies, feels hot n his heart is racing, he's been sick and is drinking a lot of water. What is wrong with him please. I'm really worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sulley.
We have a lot to cover.

First, a few questions:

1. When did the diarrhea start?
2. Is he still eating okay?
3. Is the diarrhea soft or watery?

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr Andy. It started earlier this evening. He didn't have his beggin strip after his walk,It's watery. He now is panting and stretching a lot. Can't seem to b able to lie down on his side.Do I need to call the vet?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi Michelle,
Give me a few minutes to send you an answer. There is quite a bit of info I want to get to you.

Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Okay,
First, let's go through some causes of diarrhea.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

Although I do not believe it is the cause, I am not a fan at all of those bad treats. Anything like snausages, beggin strips, chicken jerky treats, are often implicated in serious digestive problems for many dogs.

the increased water intake is likely due to nausea. So, I believe the stomach is upset as well!

the panting is another give away for nausea and abdominal pain.

The giveaway to know you need the vet now for supportive care is the agitation and stretching, to also support abdominal distress.

I will mention below some dosing for pepto-bismol (or generic) that can help the stomach or intestinal tract, but I do vote for the vet trip now!

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

The other concern, although I hate to say it Michelle, is his age.
That means we have to consider possible organ problems as well to cause illness like liver complications.

I would expect a vet to possibly recommend some abdominal x-rays and a blood profile to try and figure this out.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an in-person examination.