Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog has been very ill but thankfully, on the road (albeit

Customer Question

My dog has been very ill but thankfully, on the road (albeit very slow)to recovery.
One of my biggest problems is that he will not eat and as he is diabetic I have no choice but to force feed him. His resistance to eating would appear to be stubbornness. Can you suggest anything.

Susan Pottinger
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Hello Susan,
Thank you for using Just Answer to ask about Oggy. I am glad to hear he is doing better.

My name is Rebecca, I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

What illness is he recovering from? The loss of appetite could be related to that, so it would help my answer to know a little more.

There are appetite stimulants that can be helpful, especially the prescription medication Mirtazapine.

If his illness was painful when he tried to eat, like pancreatitis, or made him nauseous when he ate, like liver disease or kidney disease, then he may associate eating with feeling painful or nauseous. Pain medication, or anti nausea medication may help if that is the case.

If none of this works, then next thing to try is to have a feeding tube put in so you can feed him without a struggle, until his appetite returns.

Let me know if any of this helps, or makes sense, or if you have any more questions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply as I am happy to answer follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many many thanks.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Hello Susan,
How are you and Oggy doing?

Rebecca