Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 12 year old westie, has suffered with ear infections for

Customer Question

My 12 year old westie, has suffered with ear infections for about 5 years on and off, but lately we cant seem to clear it and has been on antibiotics and steroids, but they dont seem to clear it and have to keep getting more. he now has a gunkie eye, also he has a very thick claw which is causing him problems, he struggles to get up the stairs and seems to be starting to limp. Can you please tell me what is the best thing for him???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,
I am sorry to hear about Quinnie. My name is Rebecca, I am a veterinarian, and I will do my best to help.

Recurrent ear infections are often allergy related, as you no doubt have been told. The eye problem could also be from allergies. However, he could have a different eye problem such as "dry eye" where the eye gets gunky because normal tears are not being produced and so the eye glands make a lot of mucus to compensate for the dryness. There are medications for dry eye, to get normal tears to be produced, but they are by prescription.

The thick claw could just need to be regularly trimmed back. Or, it could be an infection of the base of the toenail.

So, the best thing would be to have him checked by his veterinarian for dry eye, and have that toe checked
out as well.

For his ear, you could try adding Benadryl, at one half to one millgram per pound of body weight, 2 to 3 times a day. Medicated drops containing steroids, and things to break up discharge and wax might work better than an ear wash. Some ear problems are related to food allergies, so a limited ingredient diet could help.

These are just some ideas. Please let me know what else I can answer or help with. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply as I am happy to answer follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Rebecca