Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

Hi - my dog is drinking lots of water - not passed a stool

Customer Question

Hi - my dog is drinking lots of water - not passed a stool since Monday. Long long wees which trickle out. Is there something we can give him to remove blockage? Many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 4 years ago.

larsondvm :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear that Luca is having problems. If there is a blockage in ihis urethra, it would typically be due to crystals or stones. One thing you can safely give at home to help dissolve crystals or stones is cranberry juice or cranberry juice extract. These will help to create a more acidic urine, which will dissolve the most common bladder stones.

larsondvm :

It does sound like there is a possibility that Luca has some stones, but your vet should have prescribed something to help clear them. or at least discussed treatment options with you.

Hi Fiona,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr. Larson