Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My border terrier was nipped quite roughly by a larger dog

Customer Question

My border terrier was nipped quite roughly by a larger dog last week (approx 7 days ago) and at the time we checked him over and could see no wound but he was a bit quiet and tender on his hind quarters. Yesterday eve we noticed a soft lump in the area where he was 'nipped' and today it seems larger and is tender if we touch it. Should we just give thit time to heal assuming it is just bruising or should we be thinking about a visit to the vet for xrays etc?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting Sharon...

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Well you should be thinking about a visit to the vet but probably not for X-rays. You see dog bites very commonly get get infected because of the toxic bacteria which are commonly found on he teeth of the average dog. Even a small nick can result in an abscess under the skin and these can typically take a few days to develop.

In short I think there is a strong chance that what you are seeing is a developing abscess under the skin.

2. What will your vet do about it if this is the diagnosis? : Well certainly a course of antibiotics but some abscesses will need lancing as well however usually this will be just a minor condition which will be easy to resolve with the right treatment.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you - I had visions of internal bleeding and damage !! So this is a relief. I will call the vet now.

Hi Sharon,

Very glad to have advised you, I would very much doubt if this is very serious ..

Good luck,

Scott