Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog as had diaria for 3 days she seems to be well but cant

Customer Question

my dog as had diaria for 3 days she seems to be well but cant stop the runs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Janet and thanks for waiting,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started. Firstly I have to tell you that basically this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing then you should have a vet check Molly over without delay.

That said it has only been going on for a couple of days so some owners would observe their dogs for a little longer and try a common sense home remedy while waiting for their vet's appointment. There are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these often work well in uncomplicated cases where a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the garden, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug.

Here are some examples of home remedies which some people try.

1. Many owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

2. Small amounts of live yogurt added to the food can often help, you do not need to give much perhaps a teaspoonful twice a day. You see some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut and live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into her intestinal tract and restore the balance.

3. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Molly deteriorates further in any way you should see an ER vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have given you a few ideas and covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott