Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

why cant cairn terriers have milk

Customer Question

why can't cairn terriers have milk
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me five minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again James and thanks for waiting,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. This is actually new to me, I have raised Cairn Terriers myself in the past and gave them milk and they were fine on it. Having said that there is always the odd dog that has milk intolerance and will end up with vomiting or diarrhoea but that is not breed specific, just one of those things.

2. In your case gradually introduce Max to milk, a small amount at first and if he is fine then just build it up to a reasonable amount each day. If he is OK on it and does not develop gastro-enteritis then there is no problem.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott