Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

I have a black lab - 81/2 years He hasnt eaten since yesterday

Customer Question

I have a black lab - 81/2 years
He hasnt eaten since yesterday morning - he normally has a healthy lab type appettite.
His breath smells different - he is lethargic and keeps curling up and hiding behind or under a bush hope you can help rita
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem

By what your describing many things could be the matter with rocky.
A Lab that doesn't want to eat is a clear sign that something is wrong and an investigation is in order.
possibilities for inappetence are many as I said before but to name a few :
1. might have eaten something he shouldn't have , bad food or leftovers he could have found in the bin or elsewhere which could have let to his current status .
2. it could be that he ate an object of any kind which is now resulting is partial or full abstraction , that many time incorporates vomiting but not always.
3 Inappetence could occur due to other organs in the abdomen not doing very well , like the liver , spleen , kidneys even a very painful bladder infection, all of which would require checking .
4. could be that Rocky has painful teeth or inflamed gums due to periodontal disease and even though he want to eat , he can't because it's too painful.
5. lastly but most importantly - dogs such as Rocky can in time develop conditions in which she stomach can swell and even turn on it's own axis . This is not always seen when looking at your dog but could still be there . this is regarded as a very serious emergency and should be taken care of right away by seeing your OOH veterinary service.

So what to do next:

my advice would be to get down and see your vet this evening , just in order to rule out option number 5 which I would say again - is a very very serious emergency and once that has been cleared out, on the way check for what is the cause for rocky's inappetence and lethargy.

I hope that helped you and Rocky with your question .

Please don't forget to rate my answer and I wish you the best of luck.

Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
And if you have anymore questions , please don't hesitate to ask
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

There is an answer waiting for you. Once you are satisfied please remember to rate the answer.