gpvet
gpvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet dealing with all kinds of companion animals and small exotics for the last 13 years
73965271

We have a 4 year old miniture schnauzer/poodle cross. Usually

Customer Question

We have a 4 year old miniture schnauzer/poodle cross. Usually she is very active and bouncy but yesterday morning she was very slow to get up and in the last 24 hours has got very lethargic and is having problems with her right side. She is not putting weight on her right front paw and is dragging her right back paw and loses her balance. She is eating and drinking normally and doing wees and poos. She does not seem to be in any pain and I have examined her all over for a wound or thorn in her paw or swelling but there seems to be nothing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.

gpvet :

Hi there

gpvet :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Rhubarb. I have to say that I am too from what you say.

gpvet :

However it is good that she is eating and drinking normally.

JACUSTOMER-fdzxl1nw- :

Any ideas?

gpvet :

With this kind of diffuse one sided issue, my concern would be some kind of neurological problem - either in her spine or brain or possibly middle ear.

gpvet :

This can cause weakness with or without apparent pain.

gpvet :

If you pinch her toe on her right foot, does she withdraw the foot or yelp?

JACUSTOMER-fdzxl1nw- :

Should I take her to an emergency vet or wait till tomorrow and take her to our local vet as soon as I can get an appointment.

JACUSTOMER-fdzxl1nw- :

When I pinch her toe she just licks my hand!

gpvet :

I have to say, if she was my dog I would be getting her seen as soon as possible. I could of course be way off the mark, but if she does have neuro disease, and is getting progressively worse then it is best treated as soon as possible

gpvet :

She seems like a sweet dog! Is she aware you are pinching it?

JACUSTOMER-fdzxl1nw- :

Ok, I will get straight on to it.

gpvet :

excellent. I hope that I am wrong and it is something much more straightforward. Can you let me know how she gets on? I can schedule a follow up for tomorrow?

JACUSTOMER-fdzxl1nw- :

OK, i am taking her to the emergency vet in Richmond now

gpvet :

hope all goes well

Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.
Hi Amanda

Any news on Rhubarb?

Debbie
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know how Rhubarb is.

Debbie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took her to the emergency vet who prescribed metacam and gabapentin

and total rest. I am taking her to my vet this morning for an MRI scan. She is no worse and much more cheerful today so fingers crossed! Will let you know outcome and thanks for your concern

Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.
Excellent news. Hopefully the MRI can tell you what is going on. Please do let me know.