Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my retriever Labrador is 7 this year, just today she has developed

Customer Question

my retriever Labrador is 7 this year, just today she has developed a runny nose, her breathing is shallow and like a pant and she doesn't seem to be able to settle tonight
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Elizabeth and thanks for waiting,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. The fact she has a runny nose plus the respiratory signs you describe make it very likely that Ailish is suffering from a respiratory infection of some kind. If that is the case then there is unfortunately very little you can do on a home remedy basis as prescription drugs such as antibiotics would then be required.

2. But of course a range of other potential diagnosis are also possible, dogs with heart disease for example often present first with breathing problems ...

3. What to do about it ? : Well as I said this is unfortunately not something you are going to be able to tackle on your own so you should get a vet to check her over at the first opportunity. If she is reasonably comfortable and not deteriorating then you would be taking very little risk in just observing her overnight and then seeing your vet tomorrow but if you become further concerned you should have an emergency vet check her over without delay.

So sorry I cannot safely suggest any quick fix ..

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott