Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

can ratimor kill a small dog (border terrier)

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I understand that you are concerned about Ratimor causing the death of a small dog.

Ratimor is a rodenticide that contains the anticoagulant bromadialone but it is at a fairly low concentration.

The maximum tolerated oral dosage of bromadiolone is 10mg/kg. For a 10 kg (22 pound) dog, this corresponds to 100 mg of pure Bromadiolone. That would be 2 kilograms of bait at the dosage of 0.005%. At doses of 15 mg/kg and higher, hemorrhages would begin to appear on the third day after exposure which would be fatal unless we administer an intravenous injection of Vitamin K1 at a dose of 5 mg/kg of body weight.

So while it is possible that Ratimor could be deadly in a small dog they would have to eat a significant amount of the toxin to cause bleeding and death.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how much is a significant amount

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.
How much does your dog weigh? As you can see in my example above a 10kg dog would have to eat 2 kilograms of 0.005% bait to get sick and 3 kilograms of bait to be in danger of dying.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she is around minimum weight of 13 pounds

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, so at 13 pounds she would need to eat around 1 &1/4 kilograms of bait to get sick, and 1 & 3/4 kilograms of bait to have significant bleeding that could lead to death in an untreated dog.