Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is a 5 year old bernese mountain dog, he has just been

Customer Question

My dog is a 5 year old bernese mountain dog, he has just been diagnosed with neuro degenerative disease for which he is having an MRI scan, but his skin is very bad at the moment and today his right eye is very bloodshot and underneath the eye it is bloody and there is green discharge coming out and the hair around it is very thin. I am bathing it in warm water but am unsure what to put on it if anything. We were putting the skin problems down to stress.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about your fellow Dumbledore.

Given his breed and the fact that he has neurologic and skin involvement I would be very worried about Malignant Histiocytosis. This is a disease that is seen more frequently in Bernese Mountain dogs compared to other breeds and involves infiltration of tissues with histiocytes causing tumors in internal organs, lymph nodes, the brain, the eyes, especially the conjunctiva, spinal cord and bones as well as the skin. Diagnosis is via biopsy. Treatment is very difficult in any case and unfortunately once the disease is in multiple tissues even more so.

The green discharge around his eye tells me that there is likely a secondary bacterial infection. To help with that we need to clip the hair of the affected area very short and use a solution mix of Betadine solution (povidine iodine) and warm water, made to look like weak tea, and clean the affected areas twice daily. Povidine iodine solution is available at the drug store over the counter. Make sure to get the solution not the scrub. This is an antibacterial and will dry the lesions out to allow them to heal. The solution will not hurt his eye should some get into his eye. It does stain horribly though so you probably want to do this outside.

Here is a link that discusses the different forms of Histiocytosis if you are interested in reading more: http://www.histiocytosis.ucdavis.edu/public.html

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much for your advice, can we still use sudacream on the rest of his body?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.

You are very welcome.

If the Sudacream is helping the lesions on the rest of his body it is fine to use but I wouldn't use I near the eye as it would be very irritating to the eye if it gets in.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.