Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi, I suffer severe arthritous and have Dihydra codeine, I

Customer Question

Hi, I suffer severe arthritous and have Dihydra codeine, I take 60mg's and am worried my dog may have eaten this, should i be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Although we commonly prescribe codeine rather than dihydrocodeine to our dogs at a dose of up to 1mg/kg, both of these narcotics are well-tolerated by dogs.

Can you tell me how much your dog weighs and how many of the tablets your dog may have eaten? In addition, does your dihyrocodeine also contain acetaminophen (Paracetamol) or aspirin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 3 1/2 stone-49ponds, and 60-70 dihydrocodeine-df118

Thank you. Each one of those pills contains 30mg of dihydrocodeine. If a 49 pound (22kg) dog ingested 60-70 of those tablets, it would constitute a life-threatening overdose. Severe cardiovascular and respiratory depression would result and death would be likely. If you feel that your dog did, indeed, ingest that many pills you should be on the way to an on-call/ER vet who would attempt to clear your dog's GI tract of the narcotic and then treat intensively to support your dog's vital signs.

I have to leave my computer for an hour but will check back to see how you proceeded.