Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

other than stones what can couse cystitis and how can it be

Customer Question

other than stones what can couse cystitis and how can it be treated
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Other common causes for cystitis would include any condition that can cause inflammation in the bladder OR the appearance of symptoms to mimic cystitis.
For example:
1. A urinary tract infection could easly cause inflammation in the bladder

However, conditions like kidney disease, prostate problems in male dogs, diabetes, and certain endocrine conditions like Cushing's, that can cause increased urination and/or more frequent urination can mimic having cystitis.

2. Unfortunately, neoplasia/cancer is on the list. Specifically, transition cell carcinoma.

3. Also quite common, although much more common in cats, is idiopathic cystitis. This is an acute onset of inflammation in the bladder with no known explanation. In cats, typically believed to be associated with stress, but not frequently seen in dogs.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an in-person examination.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?