Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hi my my dog is 10 months old now and seem to have only one

Customer Question

hi my my dog is 10 months old now and seem to have only one testicle
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.

tomasicvet :

Hello JA UK Customer,

tomasicvet :

Thank you for asking about Strip. My name is Rebecca, I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

tomasicvet :

When male puppies are born, their testicles start out inside them. At some point, usually before they are 6 to 8 weeks old, the testicles drop out of the body through an opening in the groin, into the scrotum.

tomasicvet :

Sometimes one or even both testicles do not make it. They can stay inside the abdomen, or get stuck in the opening in the groin, or end up under the skin near the scrotum.

tomasicvet :

If the testicle stays inside the body, it is a condition called a "retained testicle" or "cryptorchid"

tomasicvet :

It is fairly common, it is an inheritable condition ( so he got the gene for this from his father or his mother), and it can be a health problem.

tomasicvet :

The retained testicle, inside his body, has a greater chance of developing cancer than a testicle in the scrotum.

tomasicvet :

So it is recommended that these dogs be neutered ( so the gene is not passed on) and that the retained testicle be found and removed so that it does not develop a tumor.

tomasicvet :

The opening in the groin closes up when a puppy is 3 to 4 months old, so if the second testicle is not in the scrotum by then, it is very unlikely that it will drop.

JACUSTOMER-hh4upnjg- :

so i will have to get him neutered

tomasicvet :

You do not have to, but it is recommended. That is what I would do.

JACUSTOMER-hh4upnjg- :

ok thank you for your help

tomasicvet :

You are welcome.

tomasicvet :

Is there anything else I can answer or help with?

tomasicvet :

If I can answer anything else, please let me know. Kindly rate my answer when we are finished, but only when all your questions have been answered.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Natalie,
Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Rebecca