gpvet
gpvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet dealing with all kinds of companion animals and small exotics for the last 13 years
73965271

I have a 12 year old Staffy, who has been very healthy and

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Staffy, who has been very healthy and energetic loveing very long walks. In the last year the walks are now 20mins max as he is getting very slow, I suppose due to his age. For the last three days he has become unbelievably weak, barely getting out of his bed, squatting for a wee instead of raising his leg, walking very slowly. He is completely off his food, refusing all temptations, he is being sick with bright green fluid. Yesterday he was shaking and panting without hanging his tongue out with his ears back. Although this has gone now, he is just very weak and slow moving, not eating and still being sick. What should we be doing? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.

gpvet :

Hi there

gpvet :

I think if he is not eating and is still being sick, then he needs to see a vet relatively urgently. He will be losing a lot of fluid which he is not replacing. Therefore he needs to be checked for dehydration and possibly given intravenous fluids via a drip. You can do a quick check on hydration at home- take a big handful of skin at his neck and pull it out away from his body. If he is not dehydrated it should spring back immediately. If he is dehydrated, the skin will sink back slowly or not at all. The vet cn lso then run some tests to find out what exactly is wrong with Morris, and hopefully treat the underlying problem.

gpvet :

I hope this information helps

gpvet :

Debbie