Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello, my labrador is 49/50 days pregnant today and has jus

Customer Question

Hello, my labrador is 49/50 days pregnant today and has jus recovered from a serious bought of sickness and diarrhoea, where she ended up on a drip for 24 hours. She was scanned at 39 days and 2 pups were seen. She had a vet check at 40 days and he could feel the 2 pups, he gave us one big dose of Panacur to be given that night. I also began giving her a handful of puppy food mixed with her normal food. Then on day 41 she had diarrohea followed by sickness aswell on days 42/43/44.....vet kept her in and put her on a drip for 24 hours. She slowly started eating Sensitive canned dog food provided by vet on day 45 and she came home again. She had diarrohea again that night but started picking up the next day and is now back to her old self. All this time she never had a raised temperature and there was never any discharge, so they concluded that it was probably nothing to do with the pregnancy. However, on day 47 the vet could only feel one fairly small puppy and did some blood tests and an xray. The xray showed one puppy but only very faintly and blood tests showed a slightly raised white blood cell count and slightly low protein.....he said could be just the illness causing these results but he thinks the puppy may have died inside her. She is now on antibiotics and lots of dog food to build her up. She did lose 2.5 kilos in the week she was ill, but she is now gaining weight again. We still have no discharge and Swift seems very well and back to normal but due to the weight loss does not look pregnant? I'm really just after a second opinion as what you think may have caused the sickness and diarrhoea ie could it have been the change in her diet or the worming powder? And also if you agree that all this points towards a dead puppy inside her? And if so, is it likely she will become poorly again, or will she abort the puppy or will it stay inside her for 2 weeks and she will deliver it at her due date? Obviously this is a worry because it could cause infection. Any advice would be great. Thanks you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

My name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

I have spent some time reading your question through thoroughly and I have a couple of points to make, the first one is that it can be quite inaccurate to determine how many puppies are present just by feeling her abdomen, many vets have been caught out doing this. X-ray and ultrasound would be better of course but you cannot normally keep on using them.

Vet_Answers :

The second point is that I doubt the Pancur or change in diet was related to events, Panacur has a very high margin of safety and I personally would have no hesitation using it in pregnant dogs.

Vet_Answers :

I think it probable that she has indeed had an infection of some kind but is now thankfully recovering and on the mend. At day 50 at the moment as long as she seems OK then the best plan would be just to wait until Day 63 and see what happens. Yes she could have a dead puppy and yes she could abort it before term but as she is improving you have nothing to gain by not holding on that bit longer.

Vet_Answers :

Of course if things change and she starts to show any symptoms or you become further concerned then intervention may be necessary but quite frankly it would be best if you do not have to go down this road/

Vet_Answers :

I am standing by for your comments ...

JACUSTOMER-vkeg9bc8- : Hi there,
JACUSTOMER-vkeg9bc8- : hi Scott,
JACUSTOMER-vkeg9bc8- : hi Scott, I'm so sorry but my iPad ran out of charge and I couldn't find the charger! However, all charged up again now.
JACUSTOMER-vkeg9bc8- : Hello Scott, are you there? I'm so sorry but my iPad ran out of charge......but I'm all charged up again now?
JACUSTOMER-vkeg9bc8- : Would you expect to see discharge if the puppy had died? This is my first time breeding and my dogs first littler, so as you can imagine I have a lot of questions. And you say she more than likely had an infection, would this be something that could harm the puppies? Would she not have had a raised temperature with an infection? My concern also, is that it's quite unusual for a Labrador to only have 1 or 2 puppies in the first place, so I'm wondering if there would have been something wrong from the start? If my Swift continues to stay well and nothing seems to happen around her due date, should I go to the vets in case she has not been able to Oliver the one dead puppy....I understand that a singleton puppy dead or alive may not be enough to make her go into labour?
Hello again,

I am pleased to keep discussing this over with you, please ask any specific questions you may have or make any comments...

Regards,

Scott.
Hello again Wendy,

I have just picked up your further comments, glad to see you back online.

1. " Would you expect to see discharge if the puppy had died? " : Well sometimes you would and sometimes you would not, sorry this is such a non commital answer but that is how it is.

2. " And you say she more than likely had an infection, would this be something that could harm the puppies? " : I am afraid that would be possible.

3. "
Would she not have had a raised temperature with an infection?" : With a more minor infection that may not have been the case.

4. "
It's quite unusual for a Labrador to only have 1 or 2 puppies in the first place? : That is usually the case, while it is common for them to have many more pups it still can happen that they have just one.

5. "
If my Swift continues to stay well and nothing seems to happen around her due date, should I go to the vets in case she has not been able to Oliver the one dead puppy....I understand that a singleton puppy dead or alive may not be enough to make her go into labour? " : I think if she is happy and healthy at present you should sit things out until day 63 and then have your vet check her if nothing seems to be happening. You will want to avoid any unnescessry drugs or procedures at present as there is always some chance that a pup or pups could be born naturally.

Regards,

Scott