Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my dog has diarrhea but is also shaking and running round -

Customer Question

my dog has diarrhea but is also shaking and running round - is this his way of trying to cope with any tummy pain ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

shaking and running around are not typical signs seen in a dog with diarrhea.

Drew :

shaking can be a sign of pain,

Drew :

and some dogs in pain will be hyper-excitable and may try to "run away from the pain",

Drew :

but it really depends on the underlying cause of the diarrhea, as to whether or not it is very painful.

Drew :

some types of diarrhea may be more painful than others,

Drew :

especially those caused by a blockage from foreign materials in the intestinal tract.

Drew :

if there's also vomiting going on, then that increases the likelihood that this is a very serious problem requiring veterinary care right away.

Drew :

if there's no vomiting, then supportive care such as a bland diet, with added fiber, such as brown rice, mashed green peas, or canned pumpkin, may be of some value.

JACUSTOMER-wxm0ws2t- :

there has been no vomiting but at 2am and 5.30am he had these episodes - he is normally fed on raw meat and biscuits - should i avoid the meat ?

Drew :

raw meat is known to be a risk factor for causing digestive problems in dogs,

Drew :

so I would certainly avoid it in this situation.

Drew :

if you can get pepto-bismol in the UK, you can use 1mL per 5kg body weight, to help reduce intestinal inflammation and discomfort

Drew :

(bismuth subsalicylate is the active ingredient)

Drew :

if these symptoms persist for more than 48 hours, or if there's vomiting or a poor appetite, then veterinary care should be obtained.