Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 12-year old female Cocker has had diarrhea for about 36

Customer Question

My 12-year old female Cocker has had diarrhea for about 36 hours now. The (liquid) stools are a very bright orange. She seem otherwise happy. I fed her on boiled rice and chicken yesterday evening but haven't fed her yet today. She seems happy otherwise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likley Ginny has a mild digestive disturbance causing this diarrhea. This orange color is caused by the bile that is released and will resolve once this has resolved. The best treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Ginny for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.

Give Imodium AD at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.This can be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.

After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).

If this has resolved, wean Ginny onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine Ginny. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That makes sense - confirms what I thought but useful to know we can use Imodium.

Many Thanks

You are very welcome, Paulin. I will check in in a few days to see if Ginny responded to this treatment. I am hoping she will feel better soon!!
Good morning, Paulin. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Ginny. Is she doing any better? Thanks!