Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Does a male dogs urine spoil a lawn like a bitches

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your yard. Unfortunately the answer is yes in that male and female urine can cause "burns" of the grass in the yard. It may not be as obvious with males as females due to how they urinate. Females posture and get very high concentrations of urine in one spot to cause the damage to the grass at that location. Males, when they lift their leg to urinate, hopefully spray the urine over a larger area to disperse the urine more to not have as concentrated of an area. Here is a link on a product to use on the burned areas to help get the soil to a healthier state again.

http://www.dogspotsolution.com/?gclid=CKzn2oK2xbcCFaYWMgodm28AwQ

The best thing I find to help with the yard burning is to make sure the yard otherwise is kept as healthy as possible through watering and general care. If he likes to urinate in a specific area, watering this area regularly can dilute out the urine to help avoid this.