Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi - I have a mini schnauzer aged 19 months. For the second

Customer Question

Hi - I have a mini schnauzer aged 19 months. For the second time she has developed sore pads on all feet - on each foot, the main pad looks as though it has been worn through. She clearly finds it uncomfortable to walk on anything other than grass and her mood is low and subdued - unusual for her. Last time she had this, a vet took a look and thought it was some sort of physical trauma and I was advised to leave it alone and let it get better in time which it did. Her feet have been sore since last Tuesday (6 days ago) and do not seem to be getting better as quickly as last time. Grateful for any help - should I put some antiseptic cream such as sudocrem on them? Grateful for any assistance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I feel so bad for poor little Lizzie! This must be quite painful. This does happen when the pads have not developed a good callus and she is taken for long walks on hard pavement or running more than normal. For this condition, I recommend applying a cortisone creme to her paws every 6 hrs. This wil also keep her from licking the paws making this healing slower. This can be purchased at the chemist and will relieve the discomfort as the callus forms or the new lad is able to grow in.

If this happens again, I would worry that Lizzie may be suffering from an autoimmune disease. Your vet can take a biopsy if a pad and this will be able to diagnose this and then treatments would be different.

This LINK may help explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just so I understand fully - you think that she will stop licking her paws if I put cortisone cream on them?

Also, did you mean "will relieve the discomfort as . . . the new PAD is able to grow in"?

Is it ok to put Sudocrem on her pads?

I am hoping, Catherine, that the cortisome creme will stop Lizzie from feeling the discomfort so she will stop licking at them. I have seen this work many times. This does not always happen so if you see her licking at them, try to keep her from doing this so they can heal.

yes, this will reduce the discomfort so she will leave them alone so the new pad can come in quicker...does that make any more sense, Catherine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry - last return to you, is it ok to use sudocrem (antiseptic healing cream, widely used in UK for nappy rash, etc). on her paws until I can get to a chemist for the cortisone cream? Thanks v much, Catherine

Oh yes, Catherine....that is a very good healing creme for Lizzie and will help her past this.

I only recommended the cortisone creme to help decrease her discomfort. Use the Sudocreme until the other is available...both can be used at the same time.