Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hi, I have a husky malamute cross, shes just short of 6 months

Customer Question

Hi, I have a husky malamute cross, shes just short of 6 months old (born on xmas day). She was just having one of her mad 10 minutes around the house and gone flying down the stairs into the door. She was laid out whimpering in a pool of wee when i got to her. She was wagging her tail though and seemed ok when I went to comfort her but as she stood all of her back left leg cracked (like if you do your fingers and knuckles). She got up and is limping about, she put pressure on the leg but not much, its not swinging like an obvious break and when I've gone to get my phone from upstairs she has followed me up but struggled very much. I've rung my vets and other local vets but not are open or offer 24 hour service. What do you think I'm looking at?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dogdoc4u :

So sorry this happened!

Dogdoc4u :

Have you felt up/ down the leg for any warm spots or swelling?

Dogdoc4u :

My primary concern would be small fracture along a growth plate with her age. There might not be overt swelling but the crack noise is definitely a red flag of a possible greenstick (not full) fracture

Dogdoc4u :

If you are able to restrict her tonight until your vet opens, you can put some ice on any area that might have heat or swelling if she will allow you to

JACUSTOMER-l2jmc8lk- :

Yes I have felt the leg, a few times at intervals just incase I have missed anything, there doesnt seem to be anywarm spots or swelling

Dogdoc4u :

If you have to use the stairs again, please use a towel to help support her and minimize pressure on the leg in case there is a fracture and prevent any further dislocation

Dogdoc4u :

Do you have any pain medications at home for her?

JACUSTOMER-l2jmc8lk- :

Shes on her bed relaxed and I wil take her to the vets in the morning

JACUSTOMER-l2jmc8lk- :

I dont have any pain medication as Ive not needed any for her before

Dogdoc4u :

Great, keeping her quiet is critical until a fracture has been ruled out

Dogdoc4u :

OK, well ice will definitely help and since you don't have a specific area she is uncomfortable to you can start with the lower leg and work your way up. 10 minutes each location

Dogdoc4u :

Or you can take a wet towel and put it in a freezer for an hour then put it on the leg to cover a larger circumference

JACUSTOMER-l2jmc8lk- :

Like I say at the minute she is silent as normal no noise, and I will get some ice on her leg now just in case

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, but the lameness in itself indicates the leg is painful

Dogdoc4u :

Glad she is able to rest comfortably that is important because sometimes this can be difficult

Dogdoc4u :

Can I clarify anything or assist with additional questions? There is also a possibility that she injured her achilles or her cruciate or acl as well...they can have a crack noise if injured

JACUSTOMER-l2jmc8lk- :

No everything else is fine, thankyou

Dogdoc4u :

OK, please let me know if there is anything else I can do as the night proceeds. I am on-line an additional 5 hours if you need further assistance...

Dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I have a message you have replied but see no response? Were you dissatisfied with my replies? Please let me know how else I can assist you both. I am here to help.
How is Ziggy? Were you able to keep her comfortable last night? I would love an update when you are able.