Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi, Im about to buy a puppy from a breeder. I just noticed

Customer Question

Im about to buy a puppy from a breeder. I just noticed 2 red spots about the puppy's eye. When I asked the breeder what this was, he said that the puppy had a bit of tear staining and this was common in most Havanese pups. Is this true? Is this a medical problem for the pup?
David
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for an response to your question.

Yes, tear staining is a common problem in this breed as well as other small dogs.
There can be several underlying causes of this condition:
1. Excessive production of tears which is just something that they're born with.
2. The lacrimal ducts which drain the tears from the eyes might be partially or completely obstructed. Under anesthesia, the ducts can be flushed in an attempt to open them up.
3. A condition called entropion where the lower eyelid may roll in such that it causes mild irritation to the eyes which creates more tear production.
4. The excessive hair around the eyes might cause mild irritation such that the eyes water more. Keeping the hair trimmed can help in many cases.

#1 and #4 are not considered medical conditions; this is more of a cosmetic problem although the tears can accumulate in the hair which can sometimes cause a mat which is uncomfortable for the dog. Regular cleaning of the area and trimming of the fur reduces this problem from happening.
If excessive, #3 can be surgically corrected but would be considered a medical condition.

#2 might be considered a medical condition but not a serious one.

There are a number of treatments which causes the tears not to stain the fur but they have to be given continuously; once stopped the red color returns.

If I were you, I would make purchase of this pup contingent upon an exam by your vet to ensure that there is no underlying medical condition causing the tear staining.

I hope this helps. Again, I apologize for the delay. Deb