DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

how can the vet no my dog has incurable cancer without a biopsy

Customer Question

how can the vet no my dog has incurable cancer without a biopsy just looking whilst the dogs asleep would the dog be suffering how long would it be before he was really ill? cancer was in is lower jaw at the back of his mouth but how can vet be so certain about it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

What made go and see your vet in the first place ?

DR.J :

What kind of symptoms was baily showing ?

DR.J :

and for how long has it been going on?

JACUSTOMER-xkcz5rjn- :

he had smelly breath his mouth bled about 2 month

JACUSTOMER-xkcz5rjn- :

his breath was smelly his mouth bled about 2 month

DR.J :

has he lost any weight ?

DR.J :

was he making any strange sound when breathing?

JACUSTOMER-xkcz5rjn- :

he lost a little weight breathing was ok

DR.J :

would you be able to tell me more or less where the mass was located in the mouth(jaw, larynix, other)

DR.J :

and lastly, how old is he

DR.J :

sorry for all the questions but trying have as much info as possible

JACUSTOMER-xkcz5rjn- :

back of lower jaw I thought it looked like an absess he was 10

DR.J :

DR.J :

I do agree with you , the correct way to make a diagnoses of a mass if malignant or benign would require a proper biopsy and cytological/histological analysis by an external laboratory which have experts to make it

DR.J :

There are many reasons for bleeding masses in the mouth

DR.J :

1. neoplasia - tumor which most commonly is of a malignant count - most found are melanoma and osteosarcoma of the oral cavity

DR.J :

2. benign polyp like growth which can become infected or ulcerated and would result in bleeding and bad smell

DR.J :

3, secondary abscess due to tooth infection

DR.J :

and the list goes on and on .

DR.J :

I can't really tell you without having a look at the mass myself

DR.J :

at times masses do seem very cancerous and vets will pass judgment without doing any extra lab work

DR.J :

There diagnosis might be right , but that would not be the proper way forward in order to make a diagnosis .

DR.J :

I suggest that if you are unhappy with your vets off hand diagnosis , seek second opinion.

DR.J :

look for a different vet or even ask to be referred to a specialist which will make the diagnosis and offer a course of treatment pending the results

DR.J :

You vet is obligated to refer you to a specialist if you so wish

JACUSTOMER-xkcz5rjn- :

too late now bailys gone so the vet could of got it wrong?

DR.J :

Im sorry , I didnt realize

DR.J :

It could be that your vet felt experienced enough to make this diagnosis

DR.J :

but the only way to be 100% would be to perform a biopsy

DR.J :

I'm sorry to provide such an answer after all has been done

DR.J :

I hoped I have answered your initial question and have supplied you with the information you needed.

DR.J :

if you have any more questions , please do not hesitate to ask