Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog is not due her season but has started bleeding and then

Customer Question

my dog is not due her season but has started bleeding and then licking up something that she has never done befor
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How old is Roxy?
2- What is she licking, her vaginal discharge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she is 5 and yes her discharge from her and of the floor

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Jayne, what you are describing is a concern, the bloody discharge you are seeing could the result of a "pyometra" which is an infection of the uterus. This is a surgical emergency, untreated it could be fatal. There could be other causes. But, at this point it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick xray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked tonight by ER vet and not wait. Holding on treatment could have fatal consequences. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter