Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my 8 month old shih=tzu food again for 6 weeks he is fine then

Customer Question

my 8 month old shih=tzu food again for 6 weeks he is fine then he gets diohrea agin could you tell me whypuppy keeps getting diohrea after a few weeks of eating the same food I have changed his
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Has he been dewormed? If so, what is the name of the dewormer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Drontal

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

drontal a month ago

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
May, in a young puppy with a history of chronic intermittent diarrhea, intestinal parasites is very high on the list of possible causes. There are 3 parasites (coccidia, giardia and whipworms) that are known to cause chronic intermittent diarrhea and yet be negative on routine fecal analysis. For this reason it is always a good idea to deworm and rule out the above mentioned parasites. Drontal (praziquantel) does Not treat any of the above mentioned parasites. Before going on to do any diagnostics it is best to get him dewormed. This is what you can do:

1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against giardia and whipworms. You can also buy panacur online or some pet stores. To rule out coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon.

2- Start him on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store.

3- Change diet to rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef until stool is back to normal then wean back to regular puppy food.

4- If after doing the above the diarrhea continues, then your vet will follow up with some diagnostics like xrays, sonogram and blood work.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter