DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

My small XXXXX XXXXX dog has eaten a daffodil bulb and is

Customer Question

My small XXXXX XXXXX dog has eaten a daffodil bulb and is subdude. won't eat or drink and has been a little sick. The sick is slimy. She shakes occasionally. alan XXXXXX

Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Daffodils contain calcium oxalate crystals, alkaloids (particularly lycorine) and glycosides. These are present in all parts of the plant but are found in greatest concentration in the bulb

DR.J :

The symptoms you have mentioned are part of the common signs for such poisoning

JACUSTOMER-f6o9w2t1- :

Thank you for the information regarding the fact that daffodils are poisonous - what can I do in the way of treatment?

JACUSTOMER-f6o9w2t1- :

Thank you for your reply indicating that daffodils are poisonous but how can I treat the dog to get it back to good health.

DR.J :

Hi again.

DR.J :

I have written a long answer in regards XXXXX XXXXX course but I can seen that it did not register with the website :(

DR.J :

I shall write it again

DR.J :

Common signs are
Vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal tenderness, anorexia, hypersalivation, hyperthermia, lethargy and pale mucous membranes.
Other signs
Ataxia, collapse, hypothermia, hypotension, dehydration, bradycardia, hyperglycaemia and, rarely, convulsions.
DR.J :

neurological signs are rather rare but can still happen and need to be closely monitored.

DR.J :

in regards XXXXX XXXXX ,empting the stomach should be done right after the incident (but it's not relevant at this point we need to ensure adequate hydration and give anti-emetics if require and of course symptomatic and supportive care, for any other of the symptoms Evie might be presenting with

DR.J :

Im not sure as to Evies well being currently but I would assume she is doing better as you seemed rather cool in your response.

DR.J :

I would pay a visit to your vet this morning and have her just generaly examined to see if all is ok.

DR.J :

Prognosis is excellent :)

DR.J :

I hope this has been helpful .

DR.J :

if you have any more questions on the subject I would be happy to help .

DR.J :

all the best and good morning

DR.J :

Dr.J