Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hello, My westie has just eaten 5 white choclate mice. What

Customer Question

My westie has just eaten 5 white choclate mice. What do you advise we do?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has it been since he ate it?
2- How many ounces?
3- White chocolate is milk chocolate, right?
4- How much does Jake weigh?
5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It has been about 20 minutes
White choclate is not milk chocolate, it is white and contains no cocoa.
He ate around 2-3 ounces and he weighes around 8kg.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification Beth, I looked it up and white chocolate has very little to no Theobromine which is the active ingredient in chocolate that causes toxicity in dogs. 2-3 ounces will not be toxic for Jake. But, because of the sugar content and milk it can cause mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. If he does develop vomiting and diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give belly time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter