Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog has recurrent ear mite infections, we currently use

Customer Question

My dog has recurrent ear mite infections, we currently use thornit powder but have used cleanaura previously which didnt work.We used canaural which cleared up the first infection. Is there anything we can do to stop the current and further infestations? He gets very stressed and its hard to calm down after an itching session which occur more frequently in the mornings. My dog also fears the vets which heighten his anxiety so would prefer not to visit if possible.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. First, let me get more information. How do you know that it is an ear mite problem? I ask this because a recurrent ear mite infestation in an adult dog would be extremely unlikely and uncommon. Dogs typically get recurrent yeast or bacterial infections in their ears that are very itchy. Is there something specific that makes you think this is ear mites, or could it be a yeast or bacterial infection? How old is your dog, and what breed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I may be wrong, its just that we have visited the vets with this and they advised an ear mite infestation but it could be something else. He has a dark red wax like substance in his ear and this morning i cleaned his ears and it was like warm wax it is normally cold and like normal ear wax though -if that helps? I could take a picture if this would help?

He has just turned 3 years old and is a Rottweiler x Alsatian.

Vicki .

Okay, that sounds more like a yeast or bacterial infection than an ear mite problem. Recurrent yeast and bacterial infections are typically either due to underlying allergies or due to moisture remaining in the ear after swimming or bathing. I would start by treating the infection with this medication:

http://www.allivet.com/p-1255-zymox-otic-10-hydrocortisone-125-oz.aspx?gclid=CImd0_CM67cCFZE-MgodRxUAgA&

Zymox is a hydrocortisone base that relieves inflammation and it has enzymes that break down yeast or bacteria. Because it isn't a specific antifungal or antibacterial, you can get it without a prescription and it works well for most infections. You would put 6 drops in both ears once daily for 14 days, and then if the infection is cleared, then you would use it 1-2x weekly to prevent future infections. During the time you are treating, you would want to use only water and cotton balls to clean the ears, because ear cleaner can inactivate the enzymes.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.