Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my 4 month old dog started vomitting and had diarhoea followed

Customer Question

my 4 month old dog started vomitting and had diarhoea followed by a day of temperature. Although both have now stopped he has had rectal bleeding and he will only take water from a bottle. I think he may have a bone stuck somewhere/ Can u help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is the blood pouring out of the rectum or his bowel movements are bloody?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- How long has it been since he ate the bone?
4- Can you take a rectal temperature on him?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. Not pouring, just a few chunks and some blood and no bowel movements as not been eating for 3 days, as is sick when he eats.

2. Was very but better since getting fluids and not as lethargic more lively.

3. Possibly thursday or friday.

4. yes currently no temperature.

5. very pink.

thinking of giving him an enema and giving antibiotics, what do you think??

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- How long has it been since he vomited?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- What is the name of the antibiotics you have and milligrams?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1.yesterday was the last time he vomited but it was clear liquid. he is keeping the water down now.

2. weighed about 45lbs now about 35 to 37lbs

3. dont know but prescribed for dog, will receive later today. A seven day supply though to cover him

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Tim, if there is the possibility of a bone being obstructed I would not give an enema or anything that stimulates the intestinal tract, this can lead to an intussusception which is a surgical emergency. As far as the antibiotics, you can use something like Metronidazole. It is also important to remember that this could be caused by infections like parvo virus, intestinal parasites, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, enemas or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- If he is no longer vomiting offer him a diet rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. If possible blend the food and force feed him. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Supplement with a probiotic like Fortiflora, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation in the intestinal tract.
5- If he continues to vomit after doing the above or not eating, he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
6- If he does show improvement and gets better. I would also deworm him, you can buy Panacur (fenbendazole) online or pet store. Give it once a day at label dose for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter