Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Why does my dog have so much dandruff. She eats Burns food

Customer Question

Why does my dog have so much dandruff. She eats Burns food and only gets fed dog products. She is only bathed once a year.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Has Trixie had this condition for a long time?

Does she itch at these areas?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its only happened in the last year and she doesn't scratch herself. I have not changed her routine at all ie walks or food

Thank you Caroline for that information.

Most likely Trixie's metabilism has changed causing this dry skin. This may be related to a hypothyroid confition so it is important that you have your vet check Trixies thyroid function. If thsi is normal, then you will have to add supplements to help add moisture to her coat. the best ones are Vitacoat or Derm Caps that are given once daily and contain Omega 3 fatty acids and will resolve this dry skin condition. Bath Trixie weekly with Malaseb or Ectosoothe available at the pet store and this wil remove these flakes and any crusts that build up.

If there is still problems, Caroline, have your vet run a full blood panel to be sure there is not something more sinister causing this,....this is unlikely but possible.

Does that make sense to you, Caroline?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are these products available in the uk as I am struggling to find them. If not is there an equivalent product that can be bought in the uk

Yes, Caroline. Check with petmeds.co.uk for tehse products. There are similar products that are daily supplements that contain Omega 3 fatty acids and this is what you will look for at the pet store.