Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My two 5 year old labradors have diarrhoea which started 28

Customer Question

My two 5 year old labradors have diarrhoea which started 28 hours ago how shoulld I treat this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for them.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

I would be very concerned as to anything new they BOTH ate in past 24 to 48 hours. A new dog food, a new dog treat, or even a new bag of the same food.

A few options to help correct loose stools include:
1. Prescription medication like flagyl (metronidazole) is excellent:
Flagyl

2. Adding some fiber to the diet.
Metamucil for Pets

Pumpkin for Pets (not pumpkin pie filler)

3. Various probiotics for the short-term or even sometimes long-term for chronic digestive problems:

Rx Biotics
- For this probiotic, you’ll need your vet to order it, or find a local vet who carries it.
Vetri-probiotic BD
Although not a sole treatment for diarrhea, another effective supportive supplement:
Rx Clay

A very popular choice:
Fortiflora
-above link for dogs, but you can select cat products as well.

4. A prescription diet like Science diet I/D, I/D low fat, W/D, or Royal Canin gastrointestinal can be useful.

5. A at-home bland diet:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem.

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

I'm not sure what of the above therapies is readily available in the U.K. so tried to cover as much as I can. Ideally, a vet visit for some supportive medication would be ideal.

If the stools are liquid-like, delaying the morning meal would be okay. Water always available.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello Glynis,
I am going to have to retire for the evening.
I would be happy to address any follow up questions you have, and will respond in the AM, pacific time.

Good Luck
Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?