DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

Were going abroad on holiday in August and wonder whether

Customer Question

We're going abroad on holiday in August and wonder whether it is worth the cost of having a house-sitter to live in and look after our dog (a working cocker) at home rather than putting him into kennels for a fortnight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

This is a tough issue and is more animal dependent as well as a financial issue

DR.J :

There are more pluses to having someone stay indoors with Archie then leaving him the kennels.

DR.J :

1. stress factor is reduced substantially as Archie remains in his home environment.

DR.J :

2. exposure to pathogens (disease factors) which can be brought in by other dogs

DR.J :

3.Usually if there is one person taking care of Archie then all his needs would be met to the highest standard whilst if you have many dogs , some small things can be overlooked like first sign of disease , discomfort or pain.

DR.J :

I'm not saying he would be in any danger while staying in Kennels but it is much more advantageous to his well being if a person you trust is looking out for him and that is my personal opinion on the matter as well .

DR.J :

There are wonderful Kennels out there but I prefer the personal touch and knowing that my dog is where he belongs in his own known territory where he feels the most comfortable and derived of any stress

DR.J :

The question is , do you have someone you trust to take care of him .

DR.J :

this is a personal thing from this point which can effect your decision

Customer:

Thanks Dr J. That's extremely helpful. I'll start saving up - the established housesitting companies are pretty reliable, I believe.

DR.J :

and very expansive as well.

Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
I would even advise contacting your vet and asking him if they have any nurses they trust who would be willing to dogsit at your home.
You will have instant buyers for these proposition and it will cost only a fraction of the cost of the official dog sitting companies (which are ridiculously expensive with no justification).